Sunday, 9 December 2012

Day 4 of 7 of our Get Healthier Campaign

Afternoon Snack- Post brunch nibble
And Dinner

As we ate so late this morning and had a fairly healthy portion, we only needed a little nibble late afternoon to keep us going before dinner. Togo got a little creative with literally whatever was left in the fridge. So we have a smorgasbord of raw veggies, some houmous, and a few falafels all covered with some olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Surprisingly it tasted really good and definitely filled the gap.

Dinner is going to be out this evening so no recipes to follow, we may sneak in a photo though. People often ask what we eat when we go out as that's the hardest bit for them - eating healthy when they don't have control over the ingredients. Our philosophy is based on the 80/20 rule. If you are eating really well 80% of the time its OK to enjoy yourself the remaining 20%. For us it's often on the weekends
or when we go out with friends when we indulge a little more. Saying that we still try have the best options available to us, so for example when we ate a meal at wagamamas ( an Asian noodle bar) the other day we try make the best choices we can. They have a great  menu, (if you ask!), that tells you exactly what's in everything. If you don't want dairy or gluten it tells you which items on the menu are suitable. So we still had a good meal out without all the things we don't generally eat at home. Some times just being with good friends and having a good laugh is just as therapeutic as a healthy meal, so don't get too fixated on things. It's all about creating balance. We are living a healthy lifestyle not a strict and rigid diet with no option of having something off the "normal healthy" menu. You would never stick to that so find the balance and find what you like to treat yourself to every now and then and REALLY enjoy it!!

Togo's (mostly) raw smorgasbord.

  • 2 carrots chopped into batons
  • 1 courgette cut into batons
  • half a cup raw red cabbage grated finely
  • handful raw kale
  • Some falafels 
  • A few dollops of houmous
  • 2 pieces of parma ham
  • 1 fig chopped small
  • 2 vine tomatoes halved
  • some leftover sweet potatoes fries
  • A dash of apple cider vinegar
  • A sprinkle of sesame seeds
  • and a liberal pouring of olive oil

1.    Assemble on a plate in any order you like. :)

Get munching!

We would love to hear your feedback so let us know if you try this what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment